Music is my constant companion and has saved my ass every day for as long as I can remember. It brings me all the feels when I don’t know how to do it on my own, but most of all, it is joy — complete and pristine and raw and electric in every way, and it is literally everything important in the world...
I live above an Urban Outfitters. Not at all an accident. A pretty deliberate choice (considering that my life in NYC started when I worked at one in the early 1990’s).
The property managers worried the music would annoy me like the last tenants. I assured them it wouldn’t. Hearing the music muted and loud all in one package, drift in through my windows and through the crevices of my ceiling is the one of many things I love about living here. I get to play “Name That Tune” in my head on the regular, and sometimes I get to play it with my 13 year old son (and that is hella fun!).
Just this morning, I hid in the bathroom to write as I often do — mostly out of habit and the familiar feeling of it being the most private place in the house (even though my kids were totally asleep this morning, so I had the whole place to myself) and was writing out my intentions and appreciations for the morning. Then the Urban Outfitters playlist for this morning queues up at about 9 (right on time) and the songs that played made my heart sing and put me in an even better and more blissed out mood than I was already in, and I was already pretty f*cking joyous. Songs that played right before I hit the shower...
1. The Big Payback - James Brown
2. I Want to Be Your Dog - The Stooges (I love me some #iggypop!)
3. Pretty in Pink - Psychedelic Furs
4. Where Did Our Love Go? - The Supremes
5. Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel (#petergabriel has been my musical and spiritual father in my head for a lot of years now)
Post shower playlist...
1. Right before the sax solo in “Rio” - Duran Duran
2. Teenage Wasteland - The Who
3. Everybody Wants to Rule The World - Tears for Fears
My day was made!